Attempt to murder registered against unknown people
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
The Mohali police registered a case of attempt to murder, criminal intimidation and rioting against unknown people for allegedly beating up a Punjabi singer, who reportedly owes allegiance to the Akali Dal, during a marriage function at PCA Stadium, Mohali, on Tuesday.
Mohali SSP G P S Bhullar said, "Babbu Chandigarhia alias Shubash, a local Punjabi singer, was at a wedding at Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium on Monday night. At the function, a few youngsters asked the singer to sing. However, he refused to oblige saying that he was at the function as a guest, and not as a singer. Later, he agreed and told the DJ to play his song, which the DJ refused. This led to an altercation, following which the singer was beaten by an unknown person".
"Shubash alleged that he was taken out from the venue by some youths, who thrashed him. Then he went to the civil hospital in Phase VI as he had injured his eyes. But since no ophthalmologist was on duty, he took first aid treatment and went home without filing a report with the police. On Tuesday, I went to his place when I got to know of the incident and got his statement recorded," the officer said
Bhullar added, "Subhash said that he could see the video and identify the people, as they threatened to kill him. We registered a case for attempt to murder again unknown people".
The officer ruled out any political angle in the incident. He said it was just a brawl. The reception party was of the son of a property dealer-cum-financier, who is a close associate of senior Akali Dal leader Balwant Singh Ramoowalia, who was also present at the party. It has been alleged that the singer was under the influence of liquor on Monday.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed