Attempt to murder registered against unknown people
- Mulayam Singh Yadav questions death penalty for rape, says 'boys make mistakes'
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP sacks Jaswant Singh's son Manvendra
The Mohali police registered a case of attempt to murder, criminal intimidation and rioting against unknown people for allegedly beating up a Punjabi singer, who reportedly owes allegiance to the Akali Dal, during a marriage function at PCA Stadium, Mohali, on Tuesday.
Mohali SSP G P S Bhullar said, "Babbu Chandigarhia alias Shubash, a local Punjabi singer, was at a wedding at Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium on Monday night. At the function, a few youngsters asked the singer to sing. However, he refused to oblige saying that he was at the function as a guest, and not as a singer. Later, he agreed and told the DJ to play his song, which the DJ refused. This led to an altercation, following which the singer was beaten by an unknown person".
"Shubash alleged that he was taken out from the venue by some youths, who thrashed him. Then he went to the civil hospital in Phase VI as he had injured his eyes. But since no ophthalmologist was on duty, he took first aid treatment and went home without filing a report with the police. On Tuesday, I went to his place when I got to know of the incident and got his statement recorded," the officer said
Bhullar added, "Subhash said that he could see the video and identify the people, as they threatened to kill him. We registered a case for attempt to murder again unknown people".
The officer ruled out any political angle in the incident. He said it was just a brawl. The reception party was of the son of a property dealer-cum-financier, who is a close associate of senior Akali Dal leader Balwant Singh Ramoowalia, who was also present at the party. It has been alleged that the singer was under the influence of liquor on Monday.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi