Auditioned 400 girls before signing Alia Bhatt: Karan Johar
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Director-producer Karan Johar, who is launching Mahesh Bhatt's daughter Alia in his upcoming film "Student Of The Year", says the newcomer wasn't the first choice for the movie.
The 19-year-old debutante plays the role of a rich brat named Shanaya Singhania in the film, which also stars newbies Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra.
"We screen tested over 400 girls from across Mumbai and other cities. This is when Niranjan Iyengar told me that Mahesh Bhatt's daughter Alia was raring to go and she could just be the right fit for the film. I did her test and was convinced that she had this X factor that could work for the film," said Johar.
And though Alia was fit for the role, Karan says the only problem was that she was on a heavier side, which didn't set well with the vision of his female protagonist.
"The only thing that I had to ask her was to lose weight. Since she had a few extra kilos on her, she was assigned a dietician as well as trainer. She worked for full three months and came back all slim and ready to face the camera," he said.
With the movie, Johar, 40, is returning to the director's chair after a gap of more than two years. He last directed Kajol-Shahrukh Khan starrer "My Name Is Khan".
The director said though he wasn't sure about his leading lady he was sure about Siddharth and Varun from the start.
"Siddharth Malhotra as well as Varun Dhawan had assisted me in 'My Name Is Khan' and were involved in the process of production right throughout. Moreover they also observed me quite closely as a director.
"What I like about them is that they are totally different from each other, be in terms of personality or energy. I realised that they had the faces that were for cinema and it was about time that they were seen on the big screen," Johar said.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express