Aunty Number One
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
Sushma Swaraj, leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha, has an important question to raise in Parliament in the winter session. She has recently learned of the "attack on Hindu beliefs" in Oh My God and Student of the Year, and she demands to know why filmmakers reserve the "bad light" for Hindu beliefs and names. While Oh My God is a satire on magical thinking and rituals, Student of the Year is in trouble because it happens to have a song called 'Sexy Radha' with these lyrics: "Radha on the dance floor, Radha likes to party..."
Apart from Swaraj, the song has incensed several Hindu organisations, which have filed complaints about the film. Never mind that the Krishna and Radha strand is entirely at odds with the prissy life-denying worldview that many of these organisations espouse. Wishing away the "sexy" from Radha would be to deprive culture of the Gita Govinda, of Rajasthani miniatures, of the best of our art, music, dance and literature that celebrates the spiritual and erotic connection between them.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly