Australia announces 17-man squad for four-Test against India
- JD(U) rules out tie-up, Lalu starts own campaign, clock ticks down for Congress
- In UP, Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Rahul Gandhi's ordinance shortcut loses way
- Vigilance complaints pile up as Delhi Police doesnât know password
- Defence Ministry orders CBI probe into purchase of Rolls Royce engines by HAL
Allrounders Glenn Maxwell and Moises Henriques were handed a Test call up in Australia's 17-member squad as the selectors today decided to go for a strong bowling attack for their four-Test tour of India starting next month.
Xavier Doherty and Steven Smith were also included in the team along with Nathan Lyon as Australia went for four spinners to exploit the spin-friendly conditions in the subcontinent.
James Pattinson, who was out of cricket due to a rib injury and side strain, also made a comeback to the Test team, while Peter Siddle, Jackson Bird, Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson are the other pacers who were included in Australia's five-strong pace attack.
Vice-captain Shane Watson, who had sustained a left calf injury while bowling on day one of the Boxing Day Test against Sri Lanka in December, was included as a specialist batsman.
Opener David Warner, who has been ruled out of the first two ODIs against the West Indies starting tomorrow due to an injured thumb, was also picked in the squad and also back in the mix was batsman Usman Khawaja.
"This squad has the flexibility that will be required for the varying conditions expected in India, and it will provide valuable experience to a number of young players," selection committee chairman John Inverarity said.
"In aiming for more depth in a bowling attack, the squad would allow for three pace bowlers, a leading spinner and Maxwell, or two pace bowlers, the two spinners and Henriques. These are two of the options," he added. Australia will play two warmup games in Chennai on February 12-13 and February 16-18 ahead of the first Test starting at the MA Chidambaram Stadium on February 22.
"We have a good opportunity for members of the squad to get well acclimatized to the conditions," Inverarity said.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha 2014 Candidates – Full list
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today