Australian Open: Mahesh Bhupathi-Daniel Nestor out, Sania Mirza-Bob Bryan in quarters
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
India's challenge ended in the men's doubles event of the Australian Open with the defeat of Mahesh Bhupathi and Daniel Nestor even as Sania Mirza and Bob Bryan progressed to the mixed doubles quarter-finals, here today.
The fifth seeded Bhupathi and Canadian partner Nestor were sent packing 3-6 6-4 3-6 by the unseeded Italian combo of Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini in the second round.
Defending champions Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek were shocked in the first round while Rohan Bopanna and Rajeev Ram could not go beyond the second round.
However, in the mixed doubles, all four Indian players are still alive with Sania and her new American partner Bob advancing to quarter-finals with a come-from-behind win.
The third seeded Indo-American team defeated the US team of Abigail Spears and 4-6 6-1 10-4 in the second round.
They will now fight it out with Czech team of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak for a place in the semifinals.