Australian Open: Mahesh Bhupathi-Daniel Nestor out, Sania Mirza-Bob Bryan in quarters
- Centre slashes petrol, diesel prices by Rs 2; Delhi rates go up due to VAT
- PM Modi launches Skill India, says war against poverty will be won
- Indian Army says drone shot down by Pak not its
- CBI arrests Karnataka Congress MLA Anil Lad in illegal mining case
- Swati Maliwal not even remotely connected to me: Kejriwal on DCW row
India's challenge ended in the men's doubles event of the Australian Open with the defeat of Mahesh Bhupathi and Daniel Nestor even as Sania Mirza and Bob Bryan progressed to the mixed doubles quarter-finals, here today.
The fifth seeded Bhupathi and Canadian partner Nestor were sent packing 3-6 6-4 3-6 by the unseeded Italian combo of Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini in the second round.
Defending champions Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek were shocked in the first round while Rohan Bopanna and Rajeev Ram could not go beyond the second round.
However, in the mixed doubles, all four Indian players are still alive with Sania and her new American partner Bob advancing to quarter-finals with a come-from-behind win.
The third seeded Indo-American team defeated the US team of Abigail Spears and 4-6 6-1 10-4 in the second round.
They will now fight it out with Czech team of Lucie Hradecka and Frantisek Cermak for a place in the semifinals.