Auto driver held after schoolgirls use complaint box to allege molestation
- 15 security personnel killed as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Malaysia military believes it has tracked missing jet over Strait of Malacca
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
In probably the first of its kind incident in the city, a 31-year-old auto driver was arrested on Saturday for alleged sexual molestation after schoolgirls had dropped a complaint against him into the complaint box at their school in Sector 20 on Friday.
The girls have accused auto driver Dharminder of passing lewd remarks at them when he used to ferry them to school. Police said that while the girls didn't reveal their names, they narrated the entire incident and even provided the registration number of Dharminder's vehicle.
Taking cognisance of the complaint, the school Principal handed it over to the Chandigarh Police, which registered an FIR at the police station in Sector 19.
Police sent the information provided by the girls to the State Transport Authority (STA) in Sector 18 and zeroed in on Dharminder - a resident of Hallomajra. He was arrested on Saturday and his vehicle has been confiscated. Dharminder has been booked under Section 294 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) (indulging in any obscene act in the public). He was, however, later bailed out.
The incident was among three instances of alleged sexual molestation in the city on Saturday. In another such incident, a Haryana woman accused Pardeep, a resident of Maloya colony, Chandigarh, of attempting to sexually molest her. Police have registered a case under Section 354 of IPC (assault of criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty). Pardeep was arrested and later bailed out.
In the third case, a girl has alleged that some unidentified persons misbehaved with her near Sector 22, Chandigarh. A case on charges on criminal intimidation and sexual molestation has been registered by police. The accused, however, are yet to be arrested.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express