Auto drivers fined for not carrying original tariff cards
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Acting on commuter complaints, the state transport department launched a crackdown on Sunday on auto-rickshaw and taxi drivers for not carrying or not appropriately displaying original tariff cards with revised fares.
Flying squads of the three regional transport offices in the city — east (Wadala), west (Andheri) and central (Tardeo) — penalised more than 100 auto-rickshaw and taxi drivers in a single day. Tardeo RTO penalised five vehicles, Wadala RTO 56 and Andheri RTO 43. The fine for not displaying original tariff cards is Rs 100.
"They were all carrying photocopies of tariff cards. Photocopies are easier to tamper with and passengers are fleeced," said V N More, transport commissioner, adding that most of those caught were auto-rickshaw drivers.
"For the first few days after the fare revision, we didn't really take a very strict view of this as we understand it takes time for drivers to get original revised tariff cards. But now it has been ten days and it is surprising drivers are still not carrying original fare cards. We have done everything to distribute more cards than the required number," he said. More said immediately after the fare hike, Andheri RTO, which has 57,000 auto-rickshaws registered with it, distributed 78,000 tariff cards, while Wadala RTO made available 39,000 tariff cards for the 34,000 vehicles registered with it.
- Treasure trove: Amicus points finger at temple ‘highest echelons’
- Ramdev ‘goes live’ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- Vishwas, Cong worker booked
- Kanpur’s Muslim vote is for betterment, not to stop BJP
- Don’t name next Army Chief before May 16, BJP tells govt
- ‘Opposition conspiring to kill me’