Autorickshaw drivers need to wear uniforms, says DSP (traffic)
- Excessive rains wreak havoc in several states, 81 die due to flood
- Govt, Congress in war of words ahead of all-party meet
- Malaysia seeks help in finding more possible MH370 debris
- Sushma Swaraj has committed no crime: Parrikar on Lalit Modi case
- Congress hits back at Mahesh Sharma over his 'no work, no pay' remark
Autorickshaw drivers need to have a decent look. They need to be recognised through their uniforms which should be of the same colour and design.
DSP (traffic) J Elanchezhian said this at a meeting of autorickshaw drivers on Thursday morning.
He said, "The drivers have sought some more time for uniforms, but I want to get this implemented. They should stop wearing ornaments, kurta pajamas, jeans and should be seen in uniforms. They need to buy this uniform on their own. We will be finalising the uniform colour in our next meeting."
Apart from this, the DSP also spoke at length about the need for reflectors on autorickshaws. He said the foggy season had started, so reflectors were a must for the autorickshaws.
Asserting that the department was also making a database of the autorickshaws in the city, he said the drivers also needed to keep their papers in order, or the vehicles would be impounded. "It has also been found that owners give the vehicle to other drivers for driving. So we have asked them to display the name of owner, his full address inside the auto, so that one can come to know as in whose name the auto rickshaw actually is," he added.