Azam Khan offers Jaya Prada's seat to Devyani
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Devyani Khobragade, a serving IFS officer, whose arrest and subsequent strip search in New York has triggered a major diplomatic row between India and the US, was Thursday offered a Samajwadi Party (SP) ticket to contest the Lok Sabha elections from Rampur parliamentary seat in Uttar Pradesh.
Making the offer state's urban development minister and Rampur MLA Azam Khan. Presently, the Rampur LS seat is held by expelled SP leader Jaya Prada. The ruling party in UP has not yet announced any candidate from Rampur, which is also the native district of Khan.
"If Devyani desires, she can resign from her job and contest from Rampur parliamentary seat. As a Lok Sabha member, she can register her protest strongly against the USA in parliament after winning the seat," Azam stated.
Talking to the media on the sidelines of a function at Vidhan Bhawan in Lucknow, Khan said a similar offer was made by SP to the wife of former Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare who was killed during 26/11 Mumbai attack. "We had offered her to contest the Lok Sabha elections, but she denied," he added.
On the alleged strip-search of Devyani, a serving diplomat, Azam hit out at the US saying the country has a history of acting "indecently with Indians." He said he too had faced frisking and detention at Boston's Logan International Airport in April this year when he had accompanied Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for a lecture at Harvard University over the successful organisation of Kumbh Mela.
"USA acts indecently with Indians. It has not spared even respected dignitaries of our country. I too faced humiliation during my visit to USA. I had lodged protest immediately while several Indian personalities who underwent similar experience revealed it after several years," he added.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun