Azamgarh hooch tragedy: Toll reaches 40, police book 17
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
With some more people dying in hopsitals Sunday, after drinking spurious bootleg liquor Mubarkpur area of Azamgarh, the death toll reached 40 even as police booked 17 persons for running the illegal business of preparing and distributing liquor
Some 40 people are being treated in hospitals, AP said quoting District Magistrate Neena Sharma.
Meanwhile in a raid conducted in the area, police arrested 10 accused and seized 500 litre spirit meant for preparing spurious liquor. The accused have been booked under the Excise Act.
Circle Officer(Sadar) Manoj Kumar Yadav said the hooch was prepared with the excessive mixture of methyl in it. Illicit liquor is often spiked with chemicals such as pesticides to increase potency. He said the whole racket was being run by Ramraj, Sanjay, Kalpnath and Surendra in Narawn village.
The CO said the liquor was prepared in Narawan and then supplied to several persons for being sold in the villages.
He said while Ramraj, Kalpnath and Surendra are absconding, Sanjay has been arrested along with nine other persons who used to supply the hooch in various neighbouring villages.
Meanwhile, a three member committee consisting of Additional District Magistrate (Administration), SP (City) and Chief Medical Officer, formed by the district magistrate to probe the matter, has not yet started its inquiry.
ADM(Administration) Ashutosh Dwivedi said the administration officials are working to stop people from consuming the hooch. He said the inquiry will be started soon to find out the reason for the tragedy.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress