B K Hariprasad elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka unopposed
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary B K Hariprasad was on Thursday formally declared elected to Rajya Sabha unopposed from Karnataka Legislative Assembly constituency.
With Congress enjoying comfortable majority in the House which would have enabled him to sail through should there have been a contest, the opposition JDS and BJP chose not to field candidates.
Nominations of two independents for the August 29 bypoll that were not accompanied by requisite set of proposers were rejected by Assembly Secretary and Returning Officer, P Omprakasha.
The bypoll was necessitated following the resignation of Anil Lad (Congress) who was elected to the Legislative Assembly from Bellary in the May 5 elections.