B K Hariprasad elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka unopposed
- Elections LIVE: After snubbing Jaswant, BJP says not sidelining senior leaders
- Search for MH370 LIVE: France has possible images of missing plane debris
- Sharad Pawar encourages party workers to vote twice in Lok Sabha polls
- Thane shocker: 24-year-old woman brutalised for refusing to enter flesh-trade
- Four IM operatives nabbed from Rajasthan, had plans to attack Modi rally
All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary B K Hariprasad was on Thursday formally declared elected to Rajya Sabha unopposed from Karnataka Legislative Assembly constituency.
With Congress enjoying comfortable majority in the House which would have enabled him to sail through should there have been a contest, the opposition JDS and BJP chose not to field candidates.
Nominations of two independents for the August 29 bypoll that were not accompanied by requisite set of proposers were rejected by Assembly Secretary and Returning Officer, P Omprakasha.
The bypoll was necessitated following the resignation of Anil Lad (Congress) who was elected to the Legislative Assembly from Bellary in the May 5 elections.
- Mamata slams Cong, BJP for passing Telangana Bill
- Mollah calls for Muslim-Dalit ‘Maha Jot’ to defeat Left, TMC
- Didi releases party manifestos, reflects ‘national ambition’
- Rs 700-crore hawala racket busted, Surat trader’s home, office raided
- Just a click away, one stop data on over 10 lakh criminals
- The age of individualism