B K Hariprasad elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka unopposed
- Dawood's hanging would have satisfied us more: Family of 93 blasts victim
- Terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur came from Pakistan: Rajnath Singh
- Nation bids tearful adieu to former president APJ Abdul Kalam
- Why this unseemly hurry in Yakub execution: Prashant Bhushan
- Taliban confirms leader Mullah Omar's death, new successor already in place
All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary B K Hariprasad was on Thursday formally declared elected to Rajya Sabha unopposed from Karnataka Legislative Assembly constituency.
With Congress enjoying comfortable majority in the House which would have enabled him to sail through should there have been a contest, the opposition JDS and BJP chose not to field candidates.
Nominations of two independents for the August 29 bypoll that were not accompanied by requisite set of proposers were rejected by Assembly Secretary and Returning Officer, P Omprakasha.
The bypoll was necessitated following the resignation of Anil Lad (Congress) who was elected to the Legislative Assembly from Bellary in the May 5 elections.