B K Hariprasad elected to Rajya Sabha from Karnataka unopposed
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary B K Hariprasad was on Thursday formally declared elected to Rajya Sabha unopposed from Karnataka Legislative Assembly constituency.
With Congress enjoying comfortable majority in the House which would have enabled him to sail through should there have been a contest, the opposition JDS and BJP chose not to field candidates.
Nominations of two independents for the August 29 bypoll that were not accompanied by requisite set of proposers were rejected by Assembly Secretary and Returning Officer, P Omprakasha.
The bypoll was necessitated following the resignation of Anil Lad (Congress) who was elected to the Legislative Assembly from Bellary in the May 5 elections.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today