B R Ambedkarís grandson anti-Dalit, says RPI chief Ramdas Athavale
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Finds the idea of BR Ambedkar's grandson to do away with caste column in school admission forms 'preposterous'
The suggestion of Bharipa Bahujan Mahasangh (BBM) president that the caste column in forms for admission to schools be done away with to end caste prejudices right from a young age has Republican Party of India (RPI) president Ramdas Athavale up in arms.
On Friday, Athavale made a scathing attack on Prakash Ambedkar and called him anti-Dalit.
Athavale said, "Ambedkar is anti-Dalit. No individual concerned about welfare of Dalits would ever suggest such reforms that could be detrimental to their progress in education, jobs and political careers."
Prakash Ambedkar, the grandson of BR Ambedkar, had a couple of days ago said, "Caste bias is ingrained in minds the day a child enters school. The child at an early age is made to believe he/she has a separate identity. When parents seek admission to schools for children, they have to fill the form which has a column on caste."
NCP Minister for Rural Development Jayant Patil said the idea of ending caste bias is good but it had practical limitations.
Patil said, "If Ambedkar is talking of reforms to transform society and do away with caste and class, it is good. But it is not practical in the present situation where our political system is centred on caste. How can we evolve welfare schemes for Dalits and tribals without data to ascertain their developmental index in education and jobs?"
Prakash Ambedkar had said, "The caste column labels the child as a Scheduled Caste, Schedule Tribe, other Backward Caste (OBC) or Brahmin. The school itself is the stage for caste bias that continues as one enters college and then the workplace."
Athavale said, "Ambedkar's very premise to drop the caste column is meaningless."
- Amit Shah not named in supplementary chargesheet filed by CBI in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter¬†case
- Narendra Modi‚Äôs Kolkata rally ‚Äėokay‚Äô, crowd only 50,000 : Varun¬†Gandhi
- Stop personal attacks, Rahul tells spokespersons | The Indian Express
- Nido Taniam‚Äôs death: Rahul Gandhi meets Sushilkumar Shinde, questions ‚Äėdelay‚Äô in police¬†action