Babri, after 20 years
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
Babri, after 20 years
The CPM's People's Democracy carries a series of articles on the 20th anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition. The lead editorial laments that those responsible for the demolition have not been punished yet: "A full twenty years later, justice has been denied to our Republic as those responsible for such an attack on the secular foundations of our country have not been brought to book... The legal proceedings continue to remain before the judiciary."
The editorial refers to senior BJP leader L.K. Advani's call for a national debate on secularism soon after the Babri demolition in a set of two articles in The Indian Express (December 27 and 28, 1992). It refers to the three covenants — rejection of theocracy, equality of all citizens irrespective of faith and full freedom of faith and worship — put forward by Advani then and asks whether the BJP repudiates the RSS philosophy of Hindu nation and Golwalkar's view that non-Hindus "have no place in national life, unless they abandon their differences, adopt the religion, culture and language of the nation, and completely merge themselves in the national race." It adds, "The BJP's call for a national debate on secularism, which it periodically keeps reiterating, is nothing but a ruse to mask its real intentions of functioning as the political arm of the RSS and working for the realisation of the RSS agenda of transforming the secular democratic Indian Republic into their vision of a rabidly intolerant fascistic 'Hindu Rashtra'..."
THE latest issues of the CPI and CPI(ML) journals keep their resistance against FDI in retail alive despite the opposition losing the vote in Parliament. While the CPI has accused the government of manipulating Parliament, the CPI(ML) calls it a "concocted majority". The Left parties have targeted the SP and the BSP for helping the government.
- One card for Metro, DTC and cluster buses gets Lt-Governor’s green light
- Tech graduate shoots at man ‘talking loudly’
- Gun attack kills 3 in eastern Ukraine, breaks Easter truce
- ED acting at behest of PC: Bengal govt
- Delhi policemen beaten up in Pataudi village
- J&K cops leave poll staff ‘stuck in snow, fly away with EVMs’