Babri: SC orders UP court to expedite trial
- Hidden in Assam mandate: The return of Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, his AGP
- Assam LIVE: No Gogoi 4.0 as BJP alliance finally looks east
- Kerala LIVE: It's an LDF wave in Kerala, BJP set to open account
- West Bengal LIVE: Trinamool set to storm Bengal assembly with massive lead, Left way behind
- Tamil Nadu LIVE: Amma breaks tradition, gets to stay in power
A Bench of Justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad vent out displeasure over absence of the counsel for the CBI after noting that the Bench had accommodated such a request early in the day, but the law officer failed to turn up even on the second call.
The court said it was "reluctantly" granting the request made by a counsel seeking adjournment in the case in view of engagement of the CBI's senior counsel in some other case. "How many times should we have to adjourn this case? We can say that the law officer is taking the court casually," observed the Bench while posting the matter after eight weeks.
It, however, made it clear that the pendency of the CBI's appeal before it should not delay the trial. "The trial court in Rae Bareilly is to proceed with the trial and complete it as expeditiously as possible," it said.
The court allowed a plea to delete the name of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray in the name of respondents.
The CBI had moved the SC last year against the Allahabad High Court's order of May 20, 2010 dismissing its plea for revival of criminal conspiracy charges against BJP and Sangh Parivar leaders, including Murli Manohar Joshi, Uma Bharti, Ashok Singhal, Giriraj Kishore, Vinay Katiyar, Vishnu Hari Dalmiya, Sadhvi Rithambara, Mahant Avaidya Nath.
The HC had held that the CBI's revision petition challenging the May 4, 2001 order of the special court, that directed dropping of criminal conspiracy charges against the accused, was without merit.
As per the probe agency, the HC order had resulted in serious miscarriage of justice.
Uproar in Lok Sabha
- Now BJP will be on test for its nation-building capacity
- Smaller parties fail to change or dent the bipolar contest in Tamil Nadu
- Mamata victory is a triumph of a model made by Jayalalithaa, Naveen Patnaik, Nitish Kumar
- BJP victory could be Assam's best chance to resolve the immigration issue
- Diary Item: Tales from the battlefront
- Create five large, structurally unconstrained govt-promoted banks