Babri witnesses get HC contempt notice
- ASEAN Summit: PM Modi meets Chinese counterpart; discusses bilateral ties
- Congress 'anti-national', party should be 'derecognised': Sukhbir Badal
- Tejaswi Yadav takes on critics, says don't judge a book by its cover
- Sheena Bora murder case: Charges against Peter Mukerjea outrageous, says son Rahul Mukerjea
- AAP sends invite to dissident Shanti Bhushan for NC meet
The Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court has issued contempt notices to Shereen Ratnagar and D Mandal — two witnesses in the Ram Janambhoomi Babri Masjid case.
Sunni Central Board of Waqf had roped in Ratnagar and Mandal as experts to study the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) report on excavation at the disputed site and interpret it before the court for the petitioners. After studying the report, they went ahead to pen a book called Ayodhya: Archaeology After Excavation. In the book, the two archaeologists have discussed the excavated data and the presentation and interpretation of these data by the ASI.
"The court has found certain portions of the book to be in violation of the High Court order, which had barred the witnesses and others involved in the case to express their opinions on the sensitive issue till the court arrives at a conclusion," said Zafaryab Jilani, counsel of the Sunni Central Board of Wakf.