Babri witnesses get HC contempt notice
- Indrani told ex-husband if Sheena dies, we share Peter’s fortune, says Police
- Patidar Protests: Gujarat braces for a funeral as Hardik Patel heads to Delhi today
- Govt plans to set up teams of experts to quickly react to ‘negative news’
- Uttarakhand, 2 years later: A reason to smile
- Inform me of your meetings with minister Prakash Javadekar: MoeF Secretary to team
The Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad High Court has issued contempt notices to Shereen Ratnagar and D Mandal — two witnesses in the Ram Janambhoomi Babri Masjid case.
Sunni Central Board of Waqf had roped in Ratnagar and Mandal as experts to study the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) report on excavation at the disputed site and interpret it before the court for the petitioners. After studying the report, they went ahead to pen a book called Ayodhya: Archaeology After Excavation. In the book, the two archaeologists have discussed the excavated data and the presentation and interpretation of these data by the ASI.
"The court has found certain portions of the book to be in violation of the High Court order, which had barred the witnesses and others involved in the case to express their opinions on the sensitive issue till the court arrives at a conclusion," said Zafaryab Jilani, counsel of the Sunni Central Board of Wakf.