Baby in ICU, ‘rape victim’ refuses to see his face
Gives in writing that she does not want to keep him.
A day after an alleged 17-year-old rape victim gave birth to a baby boy at PGIMER, the baby was admitted to ICU.
According to hospital officials, the baby was born prematurely by about two months and weighs between 1 and 1.5 kg. He is under observation in the paediatrics ICU ward.
As for the mother, she was still admitted to PGIMER and kept insisting that she should be discharged from the hospital as she had nothing to do with the baby.
The girl has not even seen the child and does not wish to do so either, as per the hospital staff. Perhaps too shaken by the incident and then the pregnancy, she has given in writing that she does not want to keep the baby at all and has got nothing to do with him.
Said a hospital staffer attending to the girl, "Since delivery yesterday, all that she is insisting on is that she should be allowed to go home. She has not even seen the baby's face and is only insisting on being discharged. While she is absolutely fine, she has still been kept in the hospital as the child is critical and the mother should be around."
In another development, the family members of the girl, in an apparent change of heart, want to keep the newborn.
They had initially disowned and boycotted the girl. Sources in the hospital said that the family members, including the father of the girl and her brother-in-law, had been enquiring after the baby.
The girl's mother is still at their native village in Uttar Pradesh.
However, DSP Ashish Kapoor said no case had been registered so far in the matter and all the family members of the girl had been summoned to the police station on Saturday. "We will only take action in the case after we speak to the family members," he added.
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death