Back home, women complain of harassment at Feroze market
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
The safety of women has emerged as a major problem in the parking lots of Feroze Gandhi Market. The market, dominated by banks, the Ludhiana Stock Exchange, courier companies and other commercial establishments, has quite a large number of working women and some of them have complained against the men, hired by the parking contractor, stating they indulge in eve-teasing.
"The muscle men of the contractor sit on our scooters and also misbehave many times. Street lights do not work and it is a big problem for women who work till late especially in winters," one of the working women, on the condition of anonymity, said.
This, however, is not the only complaint against the contractor. K S Monga, general secretary, Feroze Gandhi Market Association, said: "The corporation gave five parking lots on contract but the contractor here is also earning from parking vehicles that come to Hotel Park Plaza, opposite the market."
Naveen Malhotra, superintendent, tehbazaari wing, MC said: "I personally visited the spot after getting some complaints but found everything normal there. But still if there are some complaints, action will be taken against the contractor."