Back home, women complain of harassment at Feroze market
- Cricketer Mohd Kaif, Nilekani, Ravi Kishen among 194 in Congress' first list of candidates for the Lok Sabha polls
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
The safety of women has emerged as a major problem in the parking lots of Feroze Gandhi Market. The market, dominated by banks, the Ludhiana Stock Exchange, courier companies and other commercial establishments, has quite a large number of working women and some of them have complained against the men, hired by the parking contractor, stating they indulge in eve-teasing.
"The muscle men of the contractor sit on our scooters and also misbehave many times. Street lights do not work and it is a big problem for women who work till late especially in winters," one of the working women, on the condition of anonymity, said.
This, however, is not the only complaint against the contractor. K S Monga, general secretary, Feroze Gandhi Market Association, said: "The corporation gave five parking lots on contract but the contractor here is also earning from parking vehicles that come to Hotel Park Plaza, opposite the market."
Naveen Malhotra, superintendent, tehbazaari wing, MC said: "I personally visited the spot after getting some complaints but found everything normal there. But still if there are some complaints, action will be taken against the contractor."