Badal cancels public functions during mourning period
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
A day after declaring a seven-day mourning to pay tribute to former prime minister I K Gujral, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday cancelled all his pre-scheduled public functions across the state till December 6.
These functions included inauguration of CII's Agro Tech Fair here by him scheduled for Sunday. Badal also cancelled the inauguration of PHD Chamber's annual International Trade Expo (PITEX)-2012 at Amritsar on December 6.
However, Badal would attend the inaugural function of Indian School of Business (ISB) at Mohali to be inaugurated by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Sunday, a government spokesman said.
In Punjab, the light and sound programme on the legendary Sikh warrior Baba Banda Singh Bahadur by Sikh Virsa Vihar Amritsar would be organised at Chapparchiri War Memorial in Mohali as per schedule on Sunday, but the chief minister would not participate in the function, the spokesman added.
Likewise, Badal has also cancelled the inauguration of various development projects in Bholath area on December 3, besides his two-day Sangat Darshan programme in Lambi on December 4 and 5. "The fresh dates of the functions, which had been either postponed or cancelled due to the state mourning in the respect of departed leader (Gujral) will be announced later on by the chief minister's office," the spokesman said in Chandigarh.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress