Badals seek exemption from court appearance in recovery case
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
The Punjab CM and his deputy CM have stated that if they personally appear in the court with security, it may cause inconvenience" to public and "normal working" of the court may be "disturbed"
Seeking exemption from appearing in the court in a recovery case, the chief minister of Punjab, Parkash Singh Badal and his deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal have moved an application in the local court stating that if they personally appear in the court with personal security, it may cause "inconvenience" to public and "normal working" of the court may be "disturbed".
Hence, they have requested that their statements may be recorded either at their residence or at some other appropriate place. The application dated December 18 also states that their coming to the court would "attract" media persons. They also requested that their cross-examination be conducted at the place of their choice.
The case which is on the stage of examination of witnesses requires the appearance of both the Badals in the court. Complainant Jagdip Singh Chowhan was the former Addition Director of Information and Public Relations Department, Punjab. He has alleged that in 1998, the Chief Minister had directed him to work in the election campaign of his son, Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Then, Sukhbir Singh Badal had been the contesting candidate from Faridkot constituency in elections held in February 1998. He alleged that he had spent Rs 1,50,458 from his own pocket for media coverage with the hope that his money would be returned.
He claims that the Badals are not ready to pay a sum of Rs 84, 032 for which he has filed a recovery suit. The evidence of the complainant was closed on October 6, 2012 and the Badals were directed to move a list of their candidates. "Instead of submitting the list, they moved this application in the court," said JS Chowhan. The case has been listed for January 10 for seeking the reply on the application by the complainant.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties