Baig received 8,000 euros during Colombo training, says ACP Satav
- SC stays release of all the seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case
- Admiral DK Joshi was disturbed, requested me to accept resignation: AK Antony
- Narendra Modi beats Rahul Gandhi in popularity, says US think tank
- Lok Sabha polls: For Paswan & son, Gujarat 2002 is history for 2014
- Jayanthi scuttled, Moily clears GM crop trials
During the hearing of German Bakery blast case, investigating officer ACP Vinod Satav told the court that arrested accused Himayat Baig had received 8,000 euros when he had gone to Colombo in 2008 for a training in handling explosives from Zabiuddin Ansari and Fayaz Kagzi, operatives of Lashkar-e-Toiba.
The examination of Satav by the prosecution concluded in the court of Additional Sessions Judge N P Dhote on Tuesday. Satav told the court the ATS version of the conspiracy behind the blast that took place on February 13, 2010, killing 17 persons.
He said, "In 2006, Baig came in contact with Ansari and Kagzi. On March 7, 2008, Baig went to Colombo to receive training in handling explosives. Ansari and Kagzi were also there. Investigation has revealed that Baig received Euros 8,000 during this time. We now know that he used to get the money converted to rupees and deposit it into an account of one Rehan, who stayed with him in Udgir. Satav said handwriting experts' analysis had revealed that Baig was operating Rehan's account for a long time."
After Baig's arrest, ATS had recovered two bags from his house in Udgir. One of the bags had his passport and the entries on it showed the police that Baig had gone to Colombo on March 7 and returned on March 24, Satav said. He told the court, "Immediately after he returned, Rs 73,000 was deposited in Rehan's account. Another entry was that of Rs 18,000 a few days later."
He said, "As part of the investigation, I was looking into various modus operandi of terror operatives. Changing names, faking the location with use of cell phones were some of them mentioned in Al-Qaeda manual, which is available on the Internet. Baig's way of working was similar to this."
- Fancy numbers: RTO in PCMC earns Rs 8 crore
- Alarm in Ukraine as Putin orders surprise army drills on border
- Arrests made but two sensational murders still unsolved
- Infosys ex-CFO not to contest polls for AAP
- Monsoon, not Manmohan, led to agri growth: Yashwant
- Now, BJP workers to donate blood equal to Modi’s weight