Bajaj Auto Q2 net profit up 2%
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
Bajaj Auto, India's second-largest motorcycle manufacturer, beat estimates with a 2 percent rise in net profit in the quarter to the end of September, but its operating margin slipped as sales fell across its portfolio.
Sales by the world's largest manufacturer of three-wheeled rickshaws used for passenger and goods transportation have been hit by high interest rates and increased fuel costs in India and a tax hike in its important export market in Sri Lanka.
This was a challenging quarter for the industry at large, the company said in a statement on Saturday.
Bajaj's operating margin – the best in the industry – slipped to 19.7 percent during the quarter, down from 20.1 percent a year earlier, as domestic sales of its motorcycles fell 12 percent, a larger fall than the overall market.
Bajaj owns 47.3 percent of Austrian motorcycle company KTM AG and has a tie-up with Japan's Kawasaki Heavy Industries. Its market share in India has been challenged by overseas rivals such as Honda Motor and Yamaha Motor.
Net profit in the second quarter of the fiscal year that began in April stood at 7.41 billion rupees ($138 million), up from 7.26 billion rupees a year previously, beating market expectations of 7.24 billion rupees, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. Net sales fell 3.5 percent to 48.17 billion rupees.
Bajaj Auto Q2 net profit up 2%, vehicle sales down 10%
The country's second largest two-wheeler maker Bajaj Auto today reported a mere 2.05 per cent rise in its standalone net profit for the quarter ended September 30 at Rs 740.67 crore due to decline in sales.
The company had posted a net profit of Rs 725.80 crore in the corresponding period last year, Bajaj Auto Ltd (BAL) said in a filing to the BSE.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi