Bajpai set to be elected UP BJP chief unopposed
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul Gandhi tells Narendra Modi: 'Ullu' banana band karo
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: Mumbai Indians take on KKR in opener
Laxmikant Bajpai is all set to be elected unopposed as the state president of the BJP for the next three years as no other candidate, except Bajpai, filed nomination papers today.
A formal announcement of his election will be made by election in-charge Kaptan Singh Solanki on Sunday.
Nominations for the election of state presidents were scheduled today. Bajpai filed his papers with the names of 100 state council members from 51 district as his proposers. One state council member comes from each Assembly constituency.
Sources said some senior leaders from western UP were against the election of Bajpai, who hails from the same region (he is MLA from Meerut). They opposed Bajpai's candidature saying that other important office bearers of the party, like party leader in Legislative Assembly Hukum Singh and Nepal Singh in Legislative Council, are also from western UP.
Sources said former national general secretary (organisation) Sanjay Joshi convinced these leaders on Bajpai's candidature. The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) top leadership supported Bajpai too, they said.