Bajpai set to be elected UP BJP chief unopposed
- Nitish trying to cheat Bihar, says Modi; CM replies PM disturbed with falling Sensex, GDP
- Manipur violence: Toll up to eight, three killed in police firing
- India script history, register first series win in Sri Lanka after 22 years
- Sheena, Mikhail my children, ready to undergo DNA test: Siddharth Das
- Market loses its nerve on weak GDP, Sensex tumbles 587 points
Laxmikant Bajpai is all set to be elected unopposed as the state president of the BJP for the next three years as no other candidate, except Bajpai, filed nomination papers today.
A formal announcement of his election will be made by election in-charge Kaptan Singh Solanki on Sunday.
Nominations for the election of state presidents were scheduled today. Bajpai filed his papers with the names of 100 state council members from 51 district as his proposers. One state council member comes from each Assembly constituency.
Sources said some senior leaders from western UP were against the election of Bajpai, who hails from the same region (he is MLA from Meerut). They opposed Bajpai's candidature saying that other important office bearers of the party, like party leader in Legislative Assembly Hukum Singh and Nepal Singh in Legislative Council, are also from western UP.