Bajrang Dal protesters detained
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Cow slaughter Were preparing to ride to Azad Maidan to join other agitators
Fifty one Bajrang Dal activists were detained in Chunabhatti on Saturday when they were preparing to move to Azad Maidan to protest illegal cows slaughter in the city.
At 10 am, they gathered at Priyadarshini Park and Chunabhatti railway crossing to join other demonstrators at Azad Maidan. However, police said they did not have permission to gather there.
"They had applied for permission but it was denied. When they assembled in the morning, we detained them. They were released at 4.30 pm," said inspector Kailash Malwadkar of Chunabhatti police station.
Several hundreds had gathered at Azad Maidan for the demonstration organised by the Bajrang Dal and the Gaurakshak Samvardhan Sanghatan in the afternoon. Those detained in Chunabhatti had planned to ride to the demonstration on motorbikes. Police were on alert after the detention. Over 150 policemen were deployed in Chunabhatti following the detention, anticipating trouble from Bajrang Dal and other organisations.
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized