Bajrang Dal protesters detained
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
Cow slaughter Were preparing to ride to Azad Maidan to join other agitators
Fifty one Bajrang Dal activists were detained in Chunabhatti on Saturday when they were preparing to move to Azad Maidan to protest illegal cows slaughter in the city.
At 10 am, they gathered at Priyadarshini Park and Chunabhatti railway crossing to join other demonstrators at Azad Maidan. However, police said they did not have permission to gather there.
"They had applied for permission but it was denied. When they assembled in the morning, we detained them. They were released at 4.30 pm," said inspector Kailash Malwadkar of Chunabhatti police station.
Several hundreds had gathered at Azad Maidan for the demonstration organised by the Bajrang Dal and the Gaurakshak Samvardhan Sanghatan in the afternoon. Those detained in Chunabhatti had planned to ride to the demonstration on motorbikes. Police were on alert after the detention. Over 150 policemen were deployed in Chunabhatti following the detention, anticipating trouble from Bajrang Dal and other organisations.