Bal Thackeray: The tiger of the jungle raj
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
The Sena's antipathy was however not only directed against Muslims in Marathwada, the Sena cadre also clashed with Dalits and attacked landless Dalits in Aurangabad district.
The Sena also came out with a controversial order to boycott Sikhs for their support to Khalistan. The boycott was subsequently taken back, but many detractors accused that it was just a pretext by the Sena to extort money from the community.
* 1989: Media becomes target
In March 1989, the party turned against one of its own. Shiv Sena corporator Shridhar Khopkar was stabbed 25 times after he voted against the Sena nominee in the Thane Mayor elections. The Sena which till then had successfully managed to use the media through its mouthpiece Saamna turned against it after being at the receiving end of criticism. The office of Mahanagar, an eveninger, was attacked after a scathing editorial which criticised Thackeray. Sena cadre not only attacked the newspaper office but subsequently also attacked a protest march taken out by journalists.
* 1991: Taking on cricket
The Sena now had taken on the role of the state's unofficial censor, deciding what was permissible and what was not. And one thing it made clear was a no-no was cricket matches with Pakistan. In 1991, Sena cadre led by Shishir Shinde dug up the Wankhede pitch so that the Pakistani team could not play in the city.
* 1993: The Mumbai riots
By this time, the Sena had become a force to reckon with in the state as well as known nationally. In 1993, it gained international notoriety with the communal riots in Mumbai. As hundreds lost their lives, the Sena hierarchy was personally blamed for instigating violence. Thackeray was indicted by the Srikrishna Commission Report for directing violence against Muslims between December 1992 and January 1993.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU