RS adjourned after BSP, SP ruckus; Oppn blames govt
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
The Rajya Sabha was adjourned Wednesday with the BSP and SP disrupting the proceedings, triggering an outcry from the BJP, which alleged the government has decided not to run the House because of its "number game". Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley demanded that the Prime Minister, the Leader of the House, clarify whether the government wanted to run the House.
BSP chief Mayawati stalled Question Hour, demanding a memorial for B R Ambedkar in Mumbai. Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon, but Mayawati insisted that Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made, leading to the adjournment of the House till noon.
As the House reassembled, MoS, Parliamentary Affairs, Rajiv Shukla made the announcement. Mayawati insisted for details. As the issue was resolved with an assurance that Textile Minister Anand Sharma will give a detailed reply, SP members began shouting slogans against quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, "Promotion mein reservation nahin chalega." Some Congress members shouted back, "Promotion mein reservation hokar rahega".
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first