RS adjourned after BSP, SP ruckus; Oppn blames govt
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
The Rajya Sabha was adjourned Wednesday with the BSP and SP disrupting the proceedings, triggering an outcry from the BJP, which alleged the government has decided not to run the House because of its "number game". Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley demanded that the Prime Minister, the Leader of the House, clarify whether the government wanted to run the House.
BSP chief Mayawati stalled Question Hour, demanding a memorial for B R Ambedkar in Mumbai. Chairman Hamid Ansari said a statement by the government is listed in the agenda and the announcement will be made at noon, but Mayawati insisted that Question Hour be suspended and the statement be made, leading to the adjournment of the House till noon.
As the House reassembled, MoS, Parliamentary Affairs, Rajiv Shukla made the announcement. Mayawati insisted for details. As the issue was resolved with an assurance that Textile Minister Anand Sharma will give a detailed reply, SP members began shouting slogans against quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs, "Promotion mein reservation nahin chalega." Some Congress members shouted back, "Promotion mein reservation hokar rahega".
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it