Banda rape case: Accused MLA arrested
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
A day after Uttar Pradesh government ordered the arrest of BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi, after registering a case of rape, the police on Thursday evening arrested the Banda legislator at Atarra police station of the district. The MLA was summoned at the police station where he was taken in custody and later produced before the court.
The MLA and four of his associates — Rajendra Shukla, Surendra, Ravan and Garg — had been named in the case under Sections 376 (rape), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 506 (criminal intimidation) for allegedly outraging modesty of a girl after issuing her life threats. The victim has been lodged in the district jail since December 14 for allegedly stealing cash and a mobile phone from the MLA's house.
Chitrakoot Dham Range DIG Satish Kumar Mathur said that the MLA was arrested while two others are absconding. Rajendra and Surendra had been arrested on Wednesday night. He added that the case had been registered on victim's complaint, which she had submitted before the court and was forwarded to the Banda police on January 10. The girl had alleged that she stayed at the MLA's house between December 8 and 12 where she was raped by the MLA and his associates assaulted her to outrage modesty.
CB-CID ADG Gurbachan Lal said, "We had submitted the interim report into the matter and had found that the allegations against the MLA were true. Since the girl had filed the complaint in this regard before the court and the district police were ordered to lodge the FIR and initiate action, they arrested the MLA and other accused. The investigation into the case, however, would be transferred to the CB-CID from Banda police and we would continue with the probe."
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties