Banda rape case: Accused MLA arrested
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
A day after Uttar Pradesh government ordered the arrest of BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi, after registering a case of rape, the police on Thursday evening arrested the Banda legislator at Atarra police station of the district. The MLA was summoned at the police station where he was taken in custody and later produced before the court.
The MLA and four of his associates — Rajendra Shukla, Surendra, Ravan and Garg — had been named in the case under Sections 376 (rape), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 506 (criminal intimidation) for allegedly outraging modesty of a girl after issuing her life threats. The victim has been lodged in the district jail since December 14 for allegedly stealing cash and a mobile phone from the MLA's house.
Chitrakoot Dham Range DIG Satish Kumar Mathur said that the MLA was arrested while two others are absconding. Rajendra and Surendra had been arrested on Wednesday night. He added that the case had been registered on victim's complaint, which she had submitted before the court and was forwarded to the Banda police on January 10. The girl had alleged that she stayed at the MLA's house between December 8 and 12 where she was raped by the MLA and his associates assaulted her to outrage modesty.
CB-CID ADG Gurbachan Lal said, "We had submitted the interim report into the matter and had found that the allegations against the MLA were true. Since the girl had filed the complaint in this regard before the court and the district police were ordered to lodge the FIR and initiate action, they arrested the MLA and other accused. The investigation into the case, however, would be transferred to the CB-CID from Banda police and we would continue with the probe."
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express