Banda rape case: Accused MLA arrested
- The gongs of Behmai: 35 years on, will justice be served?
- Mann Ki Baat: Start-up India to crop insurance, here's all that Modi said
- J-K crisis: Mehbooba to chair PDP meet, discuss govt formation
- MCD strike: Kejriwal supports demands of protesting employees
- Fifth Column: Hope PM Modi has realised that India is not Gujarat
A day after Uttar Pradesh government ordered the arrest of BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi, after registering a case of rape, the police on Thursday evening arrested the Banda legislator at Atarra police station of the district. The MLA was summoned at the police station where he was taken in custody and later produced before the court.
The MLA and four of his associates — Rajendra Shukla, Surendra, Ravan and Garg — had been named in the case under Sections 376 (rape), 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 506 (criminal intimidation) for allegedly outraging modesty of a girl after issuing her life threats. The victim has been lodged in the district jail since December 14 for allegedly stealing cash and a mobile phone from the MLA's house.
Chitrakoot Dham Range DIG Satish Kumar Mathur said that the MLA was arrested while two others are absconding. Rajendra and Surendra had been arrested on Wednesday night. He added that the case had been registered on victim's complaint, which she had submitted before the court and was forwarded to the Banda police on January 10. The girl had alleged that she stayed at the MLA's house between December 8 and 12 where she was raped by the MLA and his associates assaulted her to outrage modesty.
CB-CID ADG Gurbachan Lal said, "We had submitted the interim report into the matter and had found that the allegations against the MLA were true. Since the girl had filed the complaint in this regard before the court and the district police were ordered to lodge the FIR and initiate action, they arrested the MLA and other accused. The investigation into the case, however, would be transferred to the CB-CID from Banda police and we would continue with the probe."
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis
- Bureaucrats are an obstacle in path of ‘parivartan’, ‘vikas’
- Out of my mind: Netaji will always remain a promise never fulfilled
- Reverse Swing: A Manifesto for Middle-Eastern Migrants in Europe
- Equality before law must be accompanied by equality in social practices
- Indian policymakers underestimate problems emanating from emerging economies