Banda rape: CBI agrees with police, says MLA’s brother tortured victim
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri, says communal harmony will take country forward
- Mobile internet services cut in Jammu after recovery of cows' carcasses
- Volkswagen recalls 389 units of Polo model in India
- Air Force plans for women to fight wars: will they fly in the face of conventional non-combat roles?
- After Mumbai, Ghulam Ali's concert in Pune cancelled following Shiv Sena protest
The CBI team investigating the rape of a girl in Banda, allegedly by BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi in December last year, has found that his brother Raja was involved in torturing the victim and framing her in a case of theft, sources said.
It has also been found that the girl was a minor at that time, the sources said.
On other points, the CBI largely agrees with the local police, which had filed a chargesheet in a local court on January 20 against the MLA for rape and his associates Ravan Dwivedi, Rajendra Shukla and Suresh for molestation, illegal detention and assault.
A CBI official said the CB-CID, which filed the chargesheet, did not mention the role of the MLA's brother in the case diary although the victim had named him in her statement.
After completing the investigation into the role of the accused, the CBI is now looking into the role of the local police which had allegedly framed the girl in a false case.
The fact that the girl was a minor at the time of the incident will spell trouble for policemen for sending her to jail. The girl had also alleged that Anil Kumar Das, the then SP of Banda, had visited her in jail and tried to coerce her to withdraw the complaint against the MLA.
The CBI is investigating the case on the directions of the Supreme Court.