Bangla cancel Pakistan tour

Bangladesh is not going to tour Pakistan next month because of security concerns, the country's top cricket official said on Monday. Earlier this month, Bangladesh had agreed in principle to play a one-day international and a Twenty20 match against Pakistan, and the possible venue was Lahore where gunmen had attacked the Sri Lankan team in 2009. No international match has been held in the troubled country since then.

Nazmul Hasan, president of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, told reporters on Monday that he has already informed Pakistan about Bangladesh's decision in a letter. He said the International Cricket Council did not reply to Bangladesh's repeated appeals for being engaged in the planned tour.

"The situation in Pakistan is alarming. There are worries in the country (Bangladesh) over the proposed tour," Hasan said in Dhaka.

The latest decision came as a serious blow to Pakistan's efforts to resume international cricket in the country. In April last year, Bangladesh was scheduled to tour Pakistan for a brief series but it was scrapped after the country's High Court asked the government to suspend the matches because of security concerns.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.