Bangladesh witnesses replay of Delhi gangrape
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi says poverty is a 'tourist destination' for Rahul
- 78 pc turnout, but few can show ink mark
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- RSS appeal to âmajorityâ: Vote or become history
From Anisur Rahman
In a chilling reminder of the horrific Delhi gangrape, an 18-year-old girl was raped in a moving bus in the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital.
The alleged culprits were immediately arrested and they confessed to their guilt before a judge at suburban Manikganj district, the scene of yesterday's rape, a top police official said.
An angry mob thrashed the culprits before they were arrested.
A court sent them to jail after they confessed that they duped the garment worker girl into travelling in the empty bus, raped her and then threw her off the vehicle, that left her injured.
"The bus driver and helper gave their confessional statements before the court under section-164 to face the rape charges," assistant police superintendent of Manikganj, Kamrul Islam told PTI over phone.
Hundreds of protestors took to the street following the incident, despite a government holiday, demanding stern action against the accused, both in their mid 20s.
"We did not seek them to be remanded in police custody since they had already confessed to what they did," the police officer said.
Police said the hospital authorities later released the victim, whose identity is concealed under law, under the care of her relatives.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota