Bank strike hits financial transactions in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi HC upholds death sentence of four convicts
- US investigators suspect missing Malaysia jetliner flew for hours after losing contact
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
- US court dismisses Devyani Khobragade's indictment in visa fraud case
- Ditched by Anna, Mamata rallies â around herself
Financial transactions came to a halt in banks in Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh as employees of public sector banks went on a day-long strike to press for various demands including wage revision.
Much to the inconvenience of harried customers, protesting bank employees under the banner of United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU) even locked some branches from outside here in UT Chandigarh and Punjab not to allow any banking transaction to take place.
Due to strike, cheques worth several crore of rupees remained uncleared while transactions like cash withdrawal, cash and cheque deposits were affected.
Industrial sector including MSME and large enterprises in Punjab and Haryana said their business transactions were hampered due to the strike.
Protesting bank employees carried out protest rallies and demonstrations at several places including Ludhiana to press for their demands.
"Our intention is not to harass customers by observing the strike. But we are left with no option except to go on strike as our demands like wage hike have not been met for long," Punjab Bank Employees Federation, Secretary, Naresh Gaur said.