Bar Council elects new chief
- 20 jawans feared dead as Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh
- Missing Malaysia airline: Man travelling on stolen passport identified as Iranian
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
The Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana held a meeting on Sunday for the election of the chairman and vice-chairman under the chairmanship of H S Hooda, Advocate General, Haryana. Dr Anmol Rattan Singh, Sidhu Group, dominated the election of Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana, Chandigarh.
For the post of chairman, three nomination papers were filed by Amrik Singh Kalra, Rakesh Gupta and Minderjeet Yadav. However, Rakesh Gupta withdrew his name from the post of chairman in favor of Minderjeet Yadav and only two candidates remained in the field for the post of chairman.
Minderjeet Yadav was elected after he got 14 votes. Amrik Singh Kalra, on the other hand, got 12 votes.
For the post of vice chairman, two nominations were filed by Inder Pal Singh Dhanna and Harpreet Singh Brar, who is chairman of the legal cell of Akali Dal Badal and also Additional Advocate General, Punjab.
Inder Pal Singh Dhanna won with 15 votes and Harpreet Singh Brar got 12 votes.
As per the agenda, election was held on Sunday for the post of chairman and vice chairman.
All the 25 elected members apart from two ex officio members Advocate Generals of both the states participated in the election.
Thereafter, a meeting of the Bar Council took place under the chairmanship of newly elected Minderjeet Singh Yadav at 4 pm.
The chairman was authorized to constitute and reconstitute the already existing committees and also to constitute any other new committee if the need arises. Rakesh Gupta was nominated as chairman of the Enrollment Committee, Harpreet Singh Garcha has also been appointed as Honorary Secretary of the Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana unanimously.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express