Bar Council elects new chief
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Polling stops in Pune booth due to faulty EVMs
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
The Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana held a meeting on Sunday for the election of the chairman and vice-chairman under the chairmanship of H S Hooda, Advocate General, Haryana. Dr Anmol Rattan Singh, Sidhu Group, dominated the election of Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana, Chandigarh.
For the post of chairman, three nomination papers were filed by Amrik Singh Kalra, Rakesh Gupta and Minderjeet Yadav. However, Rakesh Gupta withdrew his name from the post of chairman in favor of Minderjeet Yadav and only two candidates remained in the field for the post of chairman.
Minderjeet Yadav was elected after he got 14 votes. Amrik Singh Kalra, on the other hand, got 12 votes.
For the post of vice chairman, two nominations were filed by Inder Pal Singh Dhanna and Harpreet Singh Brar, who is chairman of the legal cell of Akali Dal Badal and also Additional Advocate General, Punjab.
Inder Pal Singh Dhanna won with 15 votes and Harpreet Singh Brar got 12 votes.
As per the agenda, election was held on Sunday for the post of chairman and vice chairman.
All the 25 elected members apart from two ex officio members Advocate Generals of both the states participated in the election.
Thereafter, a meeting of the Bar Council took place under the chairmanship of newly elected Minderjeet Singh Yadav at 4 pm.
The chairman was authorized to constitute and reconstitute the already existing committees and also to constitute any other new committee if the need arises. Rakesh Gupta was nominated as chairman of the Enrollment Committee, Harpreet Singh Garcha has also been appointed as Honorary Secretary of the Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana unanimously.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18