Barcelona spied on Gerard Pique's affair with Shakira to ensure performance on pitch
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Barcelona ordered the Spanish detective agency, Metodo 3, to spy on its star defender Gerard Pique after they became concerned about his relationship with the pop star Shakira, according to reports.
Senior figures at the club were reportedly worried that Pique's predilection for partying and his romance with the Colombian singer would damage his performance on the pitch, the Independent reports.
According to reports from the Spanish news website El Confidencial, Metodo 3 trailed Pique in 2010 to see how much time he was spending partying. Detectives were said to have logged the number of drinks he consumed and the time he arrived home in September that year after he went to a pop concert, the paper reports.
The club, which lost to arch-rivals Real Madrid on Tuesday, allegedly managed to persuade Pique that it was the Spanish tabloid press spying on him when he realised he was being followed, the paper said.
"The Metodo 3 detective agency spied on FC Barcelona players under orders from the then director of security and now director-general of penitentiary services for the Generalitat [the autonomous government of Catalonia], Xavier Martorell," Spanish website El Confidencial wrote on Tuesday.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness