Basant, Sarita guilty of Inspector Sucha Singh murder
- After Fali Nariman, former SC judge questions Lokpal selection process
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Flanked by Paswans, Modi sells âN(Development)Aâ
- Gadkari âproposalâ for Raj: Donât put up candidates for LS
- CBI to look into DLF high-rise plan near Rashtrapati Bhavan
In an instance of speedy trial, less than six months after they murdered Inspector Sucha Singh on June 8, his assailants Basant Kumar, a dismissed Chandigarh Police constable, and Sarita were held guilty of murder by the court of District and Sessions Judge S K Aggarwal on Tuesday.
Quantum of sentence will be pronounced on Wednesday. While life imprisonment is the minimum sentence under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), maximum punishment can be death sentence.
The court decided the case in a total of 12 hearings.
The chargesheet against the duo was filed on August 24 and the case was committed to District and Sessions Court on September 3. Charges were framed against Basant and Sarita on September 17.
The case which was fast-tracked has been decided in around three months after the chargesheet was filed. Basant and Sarita got their defence counsel from the legal aid department who was changed later.
Both the accused have been held guilty of murder, attempt to murder and under various sections of the IPC. They were charged under Section 333 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty), Section 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), Section 397 (robbery or dacoity, with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) read with Section 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) of the IPC and Section 25 of the Arms Act.
On the run after murdering the husband and mother-in-law of his paramour two days after her marriage, dismissed Chandigarh Police constable Basant had murdered Inspector Sucha Singh and injured a Chandigarh Police constable on June 8.
Inspector Sucha Singh, who was stabbed 12 times by Basant, died at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, on June 8. Basant along with Sarita had escaped in a police vehicle.
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore