Bastar bloodbath: Cong to boycott Raman Singh's all-party meet, tells him to quit
- J&K: Two policemen arrested in connection with Budgam youth's killing
- Congress warms up for rally on land bill; launches 'Zameen Wapsi' website
- Railways gearing up to tackle crimes against women: Prabhu
- Alliance of Janata Parivar requires new political line, says Kerala JD(U) faction
- Indian Navy's ships return after participating in 'Operation Rahat'
Blaming the BJP-led government in Chhattisgarh for the Saturday's Maoist attack in which 27 persons were killed, the opposition Congress has decided to boycott the all-party meeting called by Chief Minister Raman Singh to discuss the fallout of the incident on Thursday.
"The security lapse by the government is unpardonable. Our leaders sacrificed their lives to resurrect Congress in Chhattisgarh, especially Bastar. We hold this government responsible for their death and decide to boycott the meet," the Congress' media convenor in the state Shailesh Nitin Trivedi said.
Stepping up the demand that Singh resign as the chief minister, the party also rejected the government's order to suspend the Bastar Superintendent of Police for security lapse that led to the attack on the Congress convoy.
"Not the Superintendent of Police, the Chief Minister should go. His government has touched the peak of inactivity and incapability. Most of the major Maoists attacks in the country have taken place under his rule in Chhattisgarh," Trivedi said.
Meanwhile, the urn containing ashes of slain Congress leader and Salwa Judum founder Mahendra Karma, who was cremated at his native village Faraspal in Dantewada on Monday, will be brought to Congress Bhavan in Raipur on Thursday.
While he was known as the "thirteenth member of the Raman Singh cabinet", and worked very closely with the state machinery to spread Salwa Judum, no BJP leader attended his funeral. Even the Dantewada legislator was not present.
Chief Minister Singh announced that a police station will be set up in Faraspal.
Singh had already announced Z plus security for his family after they received threats from Maoists.