Batman car auctioned for $4.6 million
- Subrata Roy sent to police custody by Supreme Court till next hearing, faces 'ink attack'
- Nitin Gadkari-Raj Thackeray closeness could 'affect' alliance, hints Shiv Sena
- TRS wonât merge, Congress readies to walk alone in both Andhra and Bihar
- Smith announces sudden retirement, says fortunate to have had many highs
- Third Front is unviable 'tired front', says Mamata Banerjee
The famous customized car used in the 1960s ABC Batman TV series starring Adam West has gone under the hammer for USD 4.6 million.
The Caped Crusader's cruiser was purchased by the winning bidder for Lot 5037 at the Barrett-Jackson Auction Co in Scottsdale, reported Aceshowbiz.
The iconic car was 19 feet long and built from a one-of-a-kind 1955 Lincoln Futura concept car, which was purchased for 1 dollar only.
The owner King of Kustomizers George Barris created the vehicle in three weeks at a cost of USD 15,000 funded by 20th Century Fox.
The bubbly-windowed car uses a V8 engine, automatic gearbox and features a Batphone and an oil squirter created from lawn sprinklers.
It also has a fake jet exhaust, created from a painted 10-gallon bucket, in the back and two packed parachutes that actually work to effect a "Bat turn". It's road legal as well.
"I think it is the most valuable car in the world and the public really get a kick out of it when they see it. I designed and built the Batmobile and I have shown it all around the world but now I think it is time that someone else can enjoy it," Barris said during the sale.
The winning bidder was Rick Champagne, who has been attending the Barrett-Jackson auctions for 15 years. The car collector from the Phoenix area joked, "I'm going to tear down a wall and put in my living room."
- Russia tightens grip in Crimea, West threatens ‘consequences’
- Heavy patrolling in Sector 23 after thief leaves daring note
- Difference of opinion between Patil and UT’s senior standing counsel led to his resignation
- Commissioner to look into shady land deals in 35 villages: High Court
- Class X maths exam easy for some, tough for others
- Panchkula MC approves budget of Rs 39 crore