Batman car auctioned for $4.6 million
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
The famous customized car used in the 1960s ABC Batman TV series starring Adam West has gone under the hammer for USD 4.6 million.
The Caped Crusader's cruiser was purchased by the winning bidder for Lot 5037 at the Barrett-Jackson Auction Co in Scottsdale, reported Aceshowbiz.
The iconic car was 19 feet long and built from a one-of-a-kind 1955 Lincoln Futura concept car, which was purchased for 1 dollar only.
The owner King of Kustomizers George Barris created the vehicle in three weeks at a cost of USD 15,000 funded by 20th Century Fox.
The bubbly-windowed car uses a V8 engine, automatic gearbox and features a Batphone and an oil squirter created from lawn sprinklers.
It also has a fake jet exhaust, created from a painted 10-gallon bucket, in the back and two packed parachutes that actually work to effect a "Bat turn". It's road legal as well.
"I think it is the most valuable car in the world and the public really get a kick out of it when they see it. I designed and built the Batmobile and I have shown it all around the world but now I think it is time that someone else can enjoy it," Barris said during the sale.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it