Bayer sues Lupin over generic birth control pill
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
German drugmaker Bayer has filed a lawsuit in the United States against Indian generic drug maker Lupin, to prevent it from selling a version of Bayer's birth-control pill Natazia in the US.
In the lawsuit, filed on Nov. 28, Bayer said that Lupin is preparing to bring a copy of the Natazia pill, also called Qlaira, to U.S. markets even though Bayer's U.S. patent on the pill runs through 2026.
The complaint said Bayer would be entitled to an award of damages and treble damages for any commercial sales of the generic product.
Lupin declined to comment on the lawsuit. "We do not comment on on-going litigations as a matter of policy," said Lupin spokesperson Shamsher Gorawara.
Natazia is approved in the U.S. as a contraceptive and for the treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding.
Birth-control is one of the most important businesses for Bayer's pharmaceuticals arm, with contraceptive sales of 1.1 billion euros in 2011.
Bayer Pharma AG v Lupin Ltd. and Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Case 1:12-cv-01592-UNA) was filed with the U.S. District Court, District of Delaware.
Company INFO More on Bayer's pharmaceuticals
Mutual Funds Check for top funds
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express