Bazinga! TV's 'Big Bang Theory' all abuzz over new bee
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
"Big Bang Theory" physicist Dr. Sheldon Cooper has a buzzy new claim to fame. The geeky TV character, who counts Britain's Stephen Hawking among his online friend, has had a species of bee named after his favorite catch phrase - Bazinga!
Brazilian biologist Andre Nemesio said he named a species of Brazilian orchid bee 'Euglossa bazinga' in honor of "the clever, funny, 'nerd' character Sheldon Cooper" because the bee had tricked scientists for some time with its similarity to other species.
Nemesio published his paper last month in Zootaxa, a journal for worldwide zoological taxonomists. Steven Molaro, one of the executive producers of "The Big Bang Theory" said on Wednesday that the CBS comedy was "always extremely flattered when the science community embraces our show."
"Sheldon would be honored to know that Euglossa bazinga was inspired by him. In fact, after 'Mothra' and griffins, bees are his third-favorite flying creatures," Molaro said.
"The Big Bang Theory" - a comedy about a group of brilliant but socially awkward scientists - is one of the most popular comedies on U.S. television, attracting about 18 million viewers an episode.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first