BBC settlement with politician likely: Lawyer
- Delhi: Multi-vehicle pileup on NH-1 leaves at least five dead
- Siachen avalanche: Air pocket under 35 ft of snow kept Lance Naik Hanumanthappa alive
- Facts dispute claims by banks: write-off gallops, recovery crawls
- Upset allies Akali Dal and Shiv Sena let BJP know: Keep us in loop
- David Headley deposition adjourned for the day following technical glitch
A lawyer for the politician wrongly implicated in a child sex abuse scandal says his client is likely to reach a settlement soon with the BBC and may sue people who named him on Twitter.
Lawyer Andrew Reid said Thursday that a deal between Alistair McAlpine and the broadcaster is imminent. The BBC has already apologized for linking McAlpine, a member of the House of Lords, to child sex abuse that happened decades ago in Wales. The mistaken report, broadcast nearly two weeks ago, has caused turmoil within BBC management ranks and led to resignation of its chief.
McAlpine, 70, told BBC radio he had been shocked by the report, which did not directly name him but led to Internet chatter about his purported role.
He said the BBC had not contacted him to verify the report before it was televised on Newsnight. "They should have called me and I would have told them..it was complete rubbish," he said.