BCCI to stream Ranji games live
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Having terminated the contract of Nimbus Communications — the broadcast rights holder —the Board of Control for Cricket in India is now planning to showcase domestic cricket via live streaming on its website.
Neo Cricket, a channel under the Nimbus Communications umbrella, was telecasting one of the Ranji Trophy matches live in each round.
However, after the contract was terminated only the first day of the sixth round of the Ranji Trophy game between Tamil Nadu and Gujarat was shown live.
"The BCCI has decided to stream the Mumbai vs Punjab match on our website, www.bcci.tv. It will be live without any delay. Indian domestic cricket has plenty of fans around the country and even abroad, among the expats. And now they too can keep track of it," Ratnakar Shetty, BCCI's chief administrative officer, told The Indian Express
Neo Cricket, incidentally, was scheduled to telecast the upcoming Mumbai-Punjab encounter that begins on Wednesday.
The Indian cricket board had earlier experimented with live streaming of international matches during home series, which reportedly received a massive response.
In talks with Doordarshan
The BCCI is also said to be in talks with national broadcaster, Doordarshan, to telecast the forthcoming Ranji Trophy games. The quarterfinals of this year's Ranji Trophy will be held in the first week of January, the semifinal are to be conducted from January 10-13, while the final is scheduled to be held from January 19.
Sources in the BCCI insisted that the board was still in the initial stages of deliberation with Doordarshan though they were very keen on having the public service broadcaster on board as soon as possible.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment