Behind BJP noises, posers for Nitish
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
So why did the Bihar BJP, which appeared satisfied playing second fiddle to ally JD-U, all of a sudden launch an offensive against Nitish Kumar last week? After all, it did not react when JD-U humiliated it by cancelling a dinner for its national leaders visiting Patna to attend the party's national executive meet in 2010. BJP did not react even when Nitish dubbed it a "so-called" national party after its dismal show in the last UP Assembly elections.
BJP state president C P Thakur's recent statements of the party "preparing to contest all 40 Lok Sabha seats" and planning to "invite Narendra Modi" for the party's Hunkar rally in April next year were not off-the-cuff. There was no reprimand or any gag order from the BJP central leadership for these statements.
BJP knows Nitish is facing protests all round, not just from teachers, as was evident during his Adhikar Yatra. Even RJD chief Lalu Prasad, almost pushed to a retired life in state politics, has a new spring in his feet.
Adhikar Yatra, in fact, seems to have helped the BJP and RJD more than the JD-U.
The CM can't be pleased by the fact that, as per IB inputs, BJP Purnea MP Uday Singh got over one lakh crowd at a recent Purnea rally, double the number that his own meet attracted in the same town. The chief minister's office has also been told of police morale running at an all-time low with police often being told to videograph mob than use force. Senior officers like DIGs and IGs have little role to play with DMs writing ACR of SPs. Senior IPS officers are also miffed with the CM for asking DMs, rather than SPs, to assess law and order in review meetings.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment