Behind Rukhsana’s story of bravery, a ‘forgotten’ abduction
- Earthquake of magnitude 6.0 hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in north india
- Modi sarkar on right track to bring 'achche din': LK Advani
- Army officer injured in encounter with militants in J&K's Kupwara district
- Modi in Malaysia: Religion should be delinked from terror, says PM
- US 'will not relent' in Islamic State campaign, says Barack Obama
Behind the story of 20-year-old Gujjar girl Rukhsana's exemplary bravery is another one regarding the police's alleged attempts to cover up her abduction by local youths two months ago. On Sunday night, Rukhsana axed to death a Lashkar commander. Not long ago, on July 24, Rukhsana and her aunt Kulzum Pari were abducted by Aijaz Sameer and his accomplices.
Rukhsana said the police tried to cover up the case and even offered her money to say before the magistrate that she was not abducted. But once she made the statement, the money was not given to her.
The police closed the case after getting her statement recorded before a judicial magistrate. "The medical examination report of the girl confirmed that there had been no rape," said Head Constable Maqbool Hussain of Thanamandi police station, who is the investigating officer in the case.
Rajouri SSP Shafqat Watali admitted that the girl was abducted two months ago. "The local police cannot close the case. Even if it is closed, we will reopen it," he said, adding that it is possible that there's a link between her abduction and militants barging into her house on Sunday night.
Rukhsana's mother Rashida Begum said the slain militant had threatened Rukhsana "baaz aye (beware)".
- Open channels of communication are vital for democracy and governance
- Slogans should be backed with appropriate strategies, else they remain showbiz
- Ideas seem to be the BJP’s enemy, whether from within or from without
- No country is ready to send boots on the ground, thus ensuring the survival of the IS
- Bad monsoon memories
- Across the aisle: A flat growth rate indicates India's economy is in poor shape