Belgium in shock over police brutality video
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Footage of a young man in psychological distress who asked for police protection but later died after being brutally battered by a crack six-man police unit in a case which occurred in 2010 today sent shockwaves across Belgium.
The disturbing scenes of police brutality that took place in early 2010 in the suburbs of the port city of Antwerp were yesterday aired on the VRT Dutch-speaking television network in a documentary.
The shock story today headlined newspapers in northern Belgium and Interior Minister Joelle Milquet dubbed the affair "scandalous". She said in a statement that she had written to the local authorities to suspend and consider putting on trial the officer who delivered repeated blows to the 26-year-old as his colleagues kept him pinned down.
Jonathan Jacob, whose last hours were reported in a long documentary on the television channel, died in a cell on January 6, 2010, after the incident. A body-building fanatic with a love of horses, according to his father, Jacob used amphetamines and on the night of his encounter with police appeared to be suffering from withdrawal.
After asking a police patrol for help, he was taken to a psychiatric clinic but once there refused to be locked up and threatened the officers with his fists.
Fearing violence, the clinic refused to take him in so the officers drove the young man who by then had stripped naked to a police-station where he was locked in a tiny cell about 3.5 metres square. A video camera in the police station shows six helmeted police, armed with shields and batons, creeping quietly towards the cell door before hurling a stun grenade inside. All six then pinned him down on the bed as he curled up in terror to shelter.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment