Bengal: Class 3 student dies after teacher bangs his head against wall
- Mad rush, chaos as Arvind Kejriwal takes local train to woo 'aam aadmi' in Mumbai
- SC defers hearing on Sahara's plea on releasing Subrata Roy
- IAF aircraft on standby for missing Malaysian Airlines search ops
- Presidential delay in mercy petitions: SC won't reconsider verdict
- Lalu loyalist-turned rebel Ram Kripal Yadav joins BJP
A class III student has died after his teacher allegedly banged his head against a wall for playing with another student in the classroom, prompting the authorities to order an inquiry and arrest the lady teacher.
The teacher, Champa Mondal, of the Nirdheshkhali Shishu Shiksha Kendra in South 24 Parganas district allegedly banged the head of nine-year-old Bapi Joardar as punishment for playing with his bag with another student on April 15, police sources said.
The boy was grieviousy injured and was rushed by his parents to a hospital in Canning, the district headquarters, from where he has referred the same night to the National Medical College and Hospital at Park Circus in Kolkata, the sources said.
The boy died of his injuries in the hospital last night, the sources said.
The teacher, in her mid thirties and who was with the school for the last 3 to 4 years, was arrested today, they said.
In Kolkata, Education minister Bratya Basu told reporters, "Strong action will be taken. A secretary-level officer will conduct an inquiry into the incident."
The boy's family and local people held a demonstration before the school gate demanding punishment for the teacher.