Bengal: Class 3 student dies after teacher bangs his head against wall
- Manohar Parrikar sticks to stand, warns of action against Coast Guard officer
- Coast Guard DIG on video: Blow the Pak boat off, we don’t want to serve them biryani
- Clean chit to AAP: Nothing wrong with foreign funding, Centre tells HC
- Fake encounter case: D G Vanzara walks free; says "Acche Din" have arrived
- Defence is at heart of Make in India programme, says PM Modi at Bangalore Aero show
A class III student has died after his teacher allegedly banged his head against a wall for playing with another student in the classroom, prompting the authorities to order an inquiry and arrest the lady teacher.
The teacher, Champa Mondal, of the Nirdheshkhali Shishu Shiksha Kendra in South 24 Parganas district allegedly banged the head of nine-year-old Bapi Joardar as punishment for playing with his bag with another student on April 15, police sources said.
The boy was grieviousy injured and was rushed by his parents to a hospital in Canning, the district headquarters, from where he has referred the same night to the National Medical College and Hospital at Park Circus in Kolkata, the sources said.
The boy died of his injuries in the hospital last night, the sources said.
The teacher, in her mid thirties and who was with the school for the last 3 to 4 years, was arrested today, they said.
In Kolkata, Education minister Bratya Basu told reporters, "Strong action will be taken. A secretary-level officer will conduct an inquiry into the incident."
The boy's family and local people held a demonstration before the school gate demanding punishment for the teacher.