Bengal: Class 3 student dies after teacher bangs his head against wall
- Indecision at the top, long wait for Rahul: What ails the Congress
- Ally BJP seeks to lower heat: Can’t move NIT out, don’t trash J&K Police
- Panama Papers: Mossack Fonseca on I-T radar for 9 years in Delhi, details sought
- Assam Elections: Rebel Congress leader fans wind of change
- Pluralism and tolerance hallmark of Indian civilisation: President Mukherjee
A class III student has died after his teacher allegedly banged his head against a wall for playing with another student in the classroom, prompting the authorities to order an inquiry and arrest the lady teacher.
The teacher, Champa Mondal, of the Nirdheshkhali Shishu Shiksha Kendra in South 24 Parganas district allegedly banged the head of nine-year-old Bapi Joardar as punishment for playing with his bag with another student on April 15, police sources said.
The boy was grieviousy injured and was rushed by his parents to a hospital in Canning, the district headquarters, from where he has referred the same night to the National Medical College and Hospital at Park Circus in Kolkata, the sources said.
The boy died of his injuries in the hospital last night, the sources said.
The teacher, in her mid thirties and who was with the school for the last 3 to 4 years, was arrested today, they said.
In Kolkata, Education minister Bratya Basu told reporters, "Strong action will be taken. A secretary-level officer will conduct an inquiry into the incident."
- Bhagat Singh believed neither in religion nor violence
- Abdul Basit is both right and wrong on the bilateral dialogue process
- Varied electoral cycle in India acts as a check against demagoguery and oligarchy
- Government must switch to an income-support subsidy regime
- NIT Srinagar row must be settled urgently for the sake of J&K’s future
- To promote investments, government must boldly tackle the problems