Bengal Governor Narayanan summons chief secy, DGP over top cop transfer
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
West Bengal Governor M K Narayanan today summoned Director General of Police N Mukherjee and Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra at Raj Bhavan and held prolonged consultations regarding the law and order situation as well as the transfer of Commissioner of Kolkata Police R K Pachnanda.
On Thursday night, the governor had expressed surprise that the police commissioner had been shunted soon after the Garden Reach incident. Narayanan had said, "I don't know the reason why the CP has been removed. But if it has something to do with what happened in the last few days, I think it is something that will have to be looked at very carefully."
He added that if state minister Firhad Hakim — Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's close aide — was sheltering the culprits, he had no business doing so.
In this context, today's meeting between the governor and the two topmost bureaucrats assumes importance. Though the senior officers refused to divulge details, it was learnt that the governor wanted to know the progress in the investigation into the murder of the police officer in Garden Reach and urged the police to act without fear or favour.
Meanwhile, Pachnanda, who was posted as ADG Security, today applied for 15 days' leave. The leave has been approved.
Police teams from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), West Bengal, conducted raids at the residence of Mohammad Iqbal alias Munna thrice since Thursday night. They could not find Munna and he has been declared absconding.
However, a close aide of Munna told The Indian Express that he was hiding in Garden Reach and preparing to apply for anticipatory bail. The senior Trinamool leader admitted that Pachnanda had been shunted out because he "ordered his officers to include Munna bhai's name in the FIR registered for the murder case".
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past