Bengal govt against handing over investigation to CBI
- TDP and BJP set to part ways; both may field candidates on all Seemandhra seats
- PMO says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- Kumar Vishwas claims threat to life, to file FIR against Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- 2 States movie review: Alia Bhatt is a surprise
The West Bengal government on Friday urged the Calcutta High Court not to hand over the case of chit fund scam involving the Saradha Group of companies to the CBI, claiming that it was a "premature stage" to do so.
The Bidhannagar Police Commissionerate is conducting an investigation after arresting Sudipta Sen, chairman and managing director of the company, it stated in an affidavit submitted to a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Joymalya Bagchi.
The state government further said Bidhannagar police arrested Sen along with two associates after receiving complaints from the police.
It added that it took action on the FIR and that there was no allegation of laxity against the Bidhannagar police in connection with the ongoing investigation. The state government has now sought time from the High Court to complete the investigation.
Public prosecutor of the CBI Himangsu De, however, told the court that the central agency was ready to take over the investigation into the case. According to sources, the agency said it could start the investigation if the state government provided the manpower and other logistic support.
The counsel of the central government and other agency, meanwhile, told the court that they have not been given a copy of the petition and affidavit filed by the state government. The Division Bench posted the case for next Wednesday.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer