Bengal horror: 3-year-old found with injury marks, 'rape' suspected
- Indonesian military plane crash death toll rises to 74
- Eurogroup turned down Greek bailout extension, says Finnish FinMin Alexander Stubb
- Disappointment creeping in over Modi govt's reform pace: Moody's
- Dholpur Palace: Congress' fresh document says it's a govt property
- Greece will not pay IMF debt on Tuesday: Finance minister
A three-year-old girl was allegedly raped and later abandoned in a bush at Goai village in Burdwan district.
The little child, having injury marks all over her body, is believed to have been raped as reports of preliminary medical tests at Katwa hospital done last night suggest, police said.
Alerted by the child's screams, a local woman Sohagi Das spotted her lying beside a bush yesterday and rushed the girl to a hospital after attending to her wounds at Das' home.
The parents of the child could not be traced.
Police said all efforts were being made to locate the miscreants having committed the heinous crime and the administration was bearing her medical expenses.
The incident came close on the heels of the gangrape of a paramedical student on board a bus in Delhi on December 16 and the nationwide fierce protests demanding severe punishment for the rapists.