Bengal horror: 3-year-old found with injury marks, 'rape' suspected
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
A three-year-old girl was allegedly raped and later abandoned in a bush at Goai village in Burdwan district.
The little child, having injury marks all over her body, is believed to have been raped as reports of preliminary medical tests at Katwa hospital done last night suggest, police said.
Alerted by the child's screams, a local woman Sohagi Das spotted her lying beside a bush yesterday and rushed the girl to a hospital after attending to her wounds at Das' home.
The parents of the child could not be traced.
Police said all efforts were being made to locate the miscreants having committed the heinous crime and the administration was bearing her medical expenses.
The incident came close on the heels of the gangrape of a paramedical student on board a bus in Delhi on December 16 and the nationwide fierce protests demanding severe punishment for the rapists.