Bengal rape victimís father moves HC for CBI probe
The father of the 16-year-old gangrape victim, who died of burn injuries after she was allegedly set ablaze, filed a petition before the Calcutta High Court on Monday seeking CBI investigation into the case.
In his petition, the father alleged that West Bengal Police did not properly investigate the case and did not provide security to the family despite threats from the accused, who later allegedly set his daughter on fire.
Detailing the incidents, the father said in the petition that his daughter was gangraped by some youths at Madhyamgram in North 24-Parganas district on October 25 last year. Next day the family lodged a complaint with the Madhyamgram police station and requested for protection.
However, the police failed to provide protection to the family and the same night (October 26), the accused again abducted the girl and raped her, he said. The father said, the GRP, Madhyamgram, found and brought the girl to their residence next morning, following which the family again went to the Madhyamgram police station to lodge a complaint. The plea stated that despite his daughter being gangraped again, the police did not mention about it in the second FIR.
In the first week of November, the family was forced to leave their house in Madhyamgram and shift to Kolkata.
He said, on November 13, his daughter suffered critical burn injuries in a fire in the house. She was admitted to R G Kar Medical College where, he said, the girl in her dying declaration said that some miscreants had set her on fire.
The petition alleged that the content of the second FIR was doubtful. It said, had the police provided security to the family after the first gangrape incident, the consequences could have been avoided. Stating that the role of the police was doubtful, the petition demanded a CBI investigation into the case.