Kolkata teen was gangraped 8 times in 2 hours: Chargesheet
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: FIR against Azam Khan; Rahul to file nomination papers today
The 16-year-old girl, whose rape and subsequent death triggered protests in West Bengal last week, was raped eight times in two hours by six youths on the night of October 25 before she fell unconscious, according to the chargesheet submitted to a Barasat court by investigators. The assault in Madhyamgram, North 24 Parganas, was the first time the girl was gangraped.
After the assault, the girl was taken to the house of a local but as she was unconscious the assailants dumped her in an open field in a nearby mango orchard, the chargesheet, submitted in court on December 17, said. The girl was found by locals who took her home only the next morning.
According to the girl's family, she was allegedly abducted and gangraped a second time on October 26 when the family was returning from the Madhyamgram police station after lodging a police complaint. The family said the girl was snatched from them near Patuli Humaipur Masjid by the assailants, who abused and threatened them for lodging the police complaint. They took away the girl and gangraped her again. Police are yet to submit the chargesheet in the second case.
Top police sources said they have not yet submitted the second chargesheet as they were not certain if the girl was gangraped the second time. "We are investigating into the matter," said a senior police official, who did not want to be named.
The case has been transferred to the sessions court from the CJM court. The first hearing in the case has been scheduled on January 6, said public prosecutor Bikash Ranjan Dey.
The victim's family told The Sunday Express that police were trying to downplay the second incident. The original FIR in the second case does not mention rape charges.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit