Best Budget in this economic scenario: Cong
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
The Congress on Thursday praised the Union Budget, saying that no other Finance Minister could have done better under the complex economic situation. The ruling party rejected ally SP's "anti-farmer" comment asserting that it allocated huge outlays for the agriculture sector.
Union Minister Kapil Sibal said that the Budget has taken care of the interests of all sections and "no other FM could have done better under this very complex economic situation". Referring to criticism about the Budget not giving any tax relief, Sibal said, "Not increasing tax under the prevailing tough economic situation itself is a relief."
Asked about the SP chief's criticism, Congress spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit said, "A new emphasis has been given on green revolution in eastern areas. There is no area of agriculture which the FM has ignored. Be it Mulayam Singh Yadav or anybody else, if they see all the proposals, they will understand that there is a clear emphasis on agriculture in the Union Budget."